RFC: rpm auto-glib version enforcement

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Sun Mar 20 19:20:33 UTC 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Warren Togami wrote:

> # Require Binary Compatible glib
> %define glib_ver %(pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0 | cut -d. -f 1,2)
> Requires:       glib2 >= %{glib_ver}
...>
> Proposal:
> RPM (via redhat-rpm-config?) should implicitly add something like the above
> spec blob in order to enforce glib ABI dep, but *only* if the binary payload
> actually links to  glib.

I do similar stuff (like your glib_ver) in most kde-redhat packages for
qt/kdelibs dependancies.  It's the cleanest/easiest workaround, at least
until upstream packages choose to implement versioning for new
symbols/functions (which, IMO, is the proper solution to this problem).

IMO, it would be best to leave such hacks out of
redhat-rpm-config primarily because it is not *always* necessary, and
should probably be handled in a case-by-case, package-by-package basis.

-- Rex