Rawhide NetworkManager

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Tue Mar 22 15:37:13 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 01:06 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, David Cary Hart wrote:
> > Is NM still dependent upon Bind? Does it still silently clobber resolv.conf?
> >
> > README: At this time, it does not support static IP addresses on
> > network interfaces, and requires DHCP to be used instead.
>
> The readme is wrong...
>
> > NEWS: Support static IP addresses, Dan Williams
> >
> > I assume that "NEWS" is correct. OTOH then wouldn't it be preferable to use static IPs on the devices?
>
> So yes, we do honor distro-specific static IP config files, _except_ for DNS
> entries in resolv.conf, mainly because nobody has figured it out yet.  We need
> to know which file NM should copy the DNS info from (on Fedora, where does the
> information entered into the DNS tab of system-config-network get stored, and
> how do you change it for multiple profiles?).

Related (and my info here is based on FC3, so if this is different now
my question should probably be as well):

What are the specific reasons to use an internal DHCP client instead of
e.g. dhclient -- with the latter, I could (and did) use custom
configuration files (to request some no standard DHCP options) as well
as exit hooks which determined which network I plugged into and set up
some custom things according to that information (e.g. forwarders for
privoxy, named (with a static resolv.conf), ...).

I realize there is NetworkManagerDispatcher and that it runs scripts
from /etc/networkmanager but the information I have in these scripts is
awfully few (it lacks e.g. the domain name or the timeserver and other
such nifties I have when using dhclient).

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com