LDAP

Roland Käser roli at israel-jugendtag.ch
Tue Mar 22 16:34:23 UTC 2005

Hello

 > I think "instead of using /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow" is misleading.
 > Many setups that use LDAP for user auth/info still use /etc/passwd for
 > system level accounts.

May be an option to have the "system accounts" in /etc/passwd and the
user accounts in the ldap server. But the possibility to install the
system that way directly from anarconda whould be a big improvement.
Indeed a package for managing the ldap server afterwards whould be a
dependency to this concept. Maybe IMC from idealix etc.
Including a PKI (using LDAP and/or kerberos) whould give this a complete
new glance on the security site (maybe with mail (evolution,
thunderbird) direct integration etc.
Sorry for my a bit ebullient coming ideas but I see already primary
target in having a M$ 2003 server replacement which even the M$ admins
whould prefer before the 2003 server. And in the light of the Novell
Linux and NDS (edirectory) efforts, a option to install a directory
server becomes more and more a central role of linux.

Roland