usb_storage

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Tue Mar 22 20:23:40 UTC 2005

Hi,

> > (from dmesg)
> > usb 3-2: device not accepting address 4, error -110
> > usb 3-2: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 5
> > cdrom: open failed.
> > usb 3-2: device descriptor read/64, error -110
> > cdrom: open failed.
>
> Looks like Peter lost his bet. :-)

Yay! I hereby claim my unused Windows licences for sticking over noisy
bullfrog's mouths! ;-p

> > What is error -110?
>
> It is a high level timeout. The device accepted the control transfer,
> but did not send a reply over some significant amount of time (a few
> seconds). This means that the lower level sequencer in the device
> continues to operate.

Thanks. I thought it may have been something like that having seen it on
something else.

> The answer is to deploy a variety of measures with strict regression
> testing (which means SLOW and GRADUAL deployment): caching of descriptor
> strings by kernel so "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices" does not hit devices,
> less aggressive polling by HAL and switchover to non-polled, event
> driven modes in HAL, refactoring and correct delays of enumeration.

Is that going to happen before FC4 hits paydirt?

> All the while this goes on, developers need bug reports, but they do not
> need things like "Any signs of usb_storage being fixed?"

Yeah. Really sorry about that - I was very drunk when I posted that.

> Bug reports must never include words "latest" and "current". If I see
> them, I ignore the report (Why? Because it takes hot iron to extract
> info and then users just feel wronged anyway, so why bother).

Some of us like the hot poker treatment!!!!

> You can
> use word "rawhide", but it's redundant. Include actual output of
> uname -a, rpm -q, or cat /proc/version.

Do you want me to file this problem into bugzilla and if so, what
component does it need filing under?

TTFN

Paul
--
"It is often said that something cannot be libel if it is the truth.
This has had to be amended to 'something cannot be libel if it is the