FC4-Test 1 review

Marty Huntzberry linuxhippy at verizon.net
Tue Mar 22 21:53:48 UTC 2005

I downloaded FC4-Test 1 and installed it ok on an old 450 MHz P3 with 320 MB RAM.  I customized the install to give me KDE only (my pc performance is slower with KDE than other desktops-I'm thinking about reinstalling with GNOME as my desktop instead).  This is on my personal home pc.

I was frustrated to find that xmms would not stream radio and neither would juk.  I tried to get the needed mp3 plugins using yum and was informed that I needed keys which would not download.

Why this mp3 problem?  It's existed since Red Hat and from what I read businesses need (for legal reasons) to buy a mp3 license.  Understandable-but is Fedora Core aimed at the same market as Red Hat?  I thought FC was more of a home computer market while Red Hat is taking on the business market.

Marty