RPM installed but unowned files and dirs

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 20:52:03 UTC 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:37:33 +0100, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl> wrote:
> I've already entered some of these in bugzilla but gave up when I saw
> how many there are, should I enter these in bugzilla?

How exactly are  you determining which component to file about for
unowned directories?  You have to try to make a determination of
directory ownership based on what packages own files down inside the
directory or else you really can't be sure what package was suppose to
own the directory to begin with.
If any of these unowned directories are empty.. you really can't be
sure which package is the culprit, nor even which package vendor, if
this system ever saw any packages from a second vendor.

For example  /usr/man/man3 in your list... I don't seem to have that
on any of my systems.. not my fc2 or fc3 or my rawhide system.

And on my fc2 system /usr/man/man1  contains only files i have
installed from packages from Non redhat and Non Fedora Core/Extras
locations (namely packages I've hacked together... once again proving
I can't package worth crap)

On my stock+updated fc3 system.. i don't even have /usr/man/  directory.

-jef