RFC: Optimizing for 386 (Part 2)

Joseph Wagner technojoecoolusa at charter.net
Fri Mar 25 05:56:27 UTC 2005

Hello Linux Naysayers!

You may remember about two months ago I started a flame war asking why RPM
packages were still optimized for 386.  The best answer I heard said that
the powers-that-be do not believe there would be a noticeable improvement,
and if I wanted to affect real change I would need to prove them wrong.

So I've set out to do just that.

I'm here today to announce the Hypersonic Penguins project.

http://www.hypersonicpenguins.org

Details are spelled out on the website, so I won't repeat them here.
However, I will summarize by saying it has RPM packages optimized for 686.

You are invited to download them, install them, and tell me how wrong you
were when you see the faster speed.

I'm being charged a premium for bandwidth, so please download only the
packages you have installed.

Thank you for your time and your tolerance.

Joseph D. Wagner