Gnome panel menus

Dariusz J. Garbowski thuforuk at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 28 00:34:23 UTC 2005

On 03/27/2005 09:24 PM, Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:
> Then, there's the storm of players. I have one of each: "Audio Player",
> "Media Player", "Music Player",  "Movie Player", and a "Multimedia
> Player." Helix is just a "Player".
>
> How about this:
>
> Rhythmbox Music Player
> (or just Music Player, if the GNOME
>  name-removal policy still applies)
> Xmms Music Player
>
> Helix Movie Player
> Xine Movie Player
> Totem Movie Player
> Mplayer Movie Player

+1

"Movie Player", "PDF Viewer", "Email", "Browser", whatever... These
names, although perhaps more helpful for those who are unfamiliar or
less familiar with Linux software, are quite meaningless for those who
know what app exactly they want to run. What will start when I choose
"Some player" or "Some viewer" thing? Worse, it changes from release to
release and from distro to distro... This is one of the reasons why I
find myself avoiding menus completely and still running everything from
commandline -- at least I know what I run ;-)

I like proposed naming scheme and I see it used sometimes, e.g. by Dag's
packages. Would be nice if it became standard naming convention.

Regards,
Dariusz