menus, Name/GenericName

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Mon Mar 28 14:15:05 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 07:56 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:
>
> >>Never have I seen it suggested that Name and GenericName be simply
> >>concatenated.  (Don't forget the parens).
>
> > Well I have... on a bugzilla.
> > I couldn't figure out why that is either - I can imagine
> > problems if languages read right-to-left, but I don't know exactly.
>
> Right, which is one reason why I think simple concatenation is not a
> good idea, though I wouldn't mind it being added as a display option...
> similar to KDE's options of Name (GenericName), GenericName (Name)...
> (as long as I'm not forced to use it).

cc-ed the person that was clarifying this to me at the time
(bclark at redhat.com)

People are asking what the freedesktop HIG says, the menus are still a
mess, and there's confusion - see entire thread. Thank you
for fixing some of the menu bugs...

--
Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2 at cornell.edu>
Cornell University