Firefox slows down pc......

Dariusz J. Garbowski thuforuk at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 29 08:39:22 UTC 2005

On 03/29/2005 07:56 AM, Christopher Aillon wrote:
> Peter Robinson wrote:
>  > I have a similar problem with no flash (don't even have it installed)
>
>> where for some sites firefox cpu usage will go through the roof. The
>> site I find this happens the most often is actually the Fedora
>> downloads page where you have a listing for the entire distro seems to
>> just kill firefox but if you go to a mirror its OK rather annoying
>> since I'm often behind a firewall with no ftp access.
>>
>> (eg
>> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/
>>
>> )
>

> This is caused by the large amount of content being rendered in a
> <pre>.  If we turn on IndexOptions HTMLTable, we can probably get much
> better performance out of the browser here.  Even older browsers such as
> lynx, w3m, links, etc handle tables fine, AFAIK.

Still Firefox from Fedora Core 3 compared to mozilla nightly downloaded
from mozilla.org is about 2x slower loading this page:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8b2) Gecko/20050326 - about
9 seconds

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050323
Firefox/1.0.2 Fedora/1.0.2-1.3.1 - about 19 seconds

Is such a difference expected?

Am I comparing apples to oranges (very recent nightly build vs. stable
release/mozilla vs. firfox)?

Regards,
Dariusz