kernel source code

Emmanuel Seyman seyman at wanadoo.fr
Wed Mar 30 12:26:08 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 10:42:54AM +0000, not disclosed wrote:

> What exactly is the problem with including kernel-sourcecode?

It's a huge file (30+ Mb?) that you are trying to force everybody
to download and that very few people need (even the people who
believe they need it aren't always right).

Teeling people to grab the kernel src.rpm solves this problem.
People who need the source still have, those who don't need it
can stop downloading it over and over again.

> It makes it easy to take someone else's driver and compile it against your

You should not need the kernel source to recompile a driver.

> source, it makes it easy to nobble the source and recompile - I have spent
> the last hour trying to install the source from
> the src rpm following the instructions in
> http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc3/x86/

???

This took me all of two minutes.

Emmanuel