netfilter modules (was: kernel source code)

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Thu Mar 31 01:03:00 UTC 2005

--On Wednesday, March 30, 2005 12:31 AM -1000 Warren Togami
<wtogami at redhat.com> wrote:

> Did you miss the part about NOT NEEDING kernel source in order to build
> modules against that kernel?  FC2 and FC3 kernel provides headers that
> are sufficient 99% of the time, while FC4 split that out into
> kernel-devel which serves a similar purpose.

BTW, has anyone attempted to build netfilter modules using the kernel build
system? It would be nice to be able to try out some of the experimental
stuff without having to build a full custom kernel. (I'd particularly like
to use the U32 match module to detect/block some malicious UDP packets.)
IIRC, most of the modules include a matching userspace shared object that's
used by the iptables binary so of course that would also be needed, but in
principle one could package the two together.