FC4 perl module upgrades/cleanups

Jeff Johnson n3npq at nc.rr.com
Thu Mar 31 18:10:39 UTC 2005

Chris Adams wrote:

>Once upon a time, Jeff Johnson <n3npq at nc.rr.com> said:
>

>>Adding syntax to *.spec creates instant legacy problems building with older
>>versions of rpm.
>>

>When was %__perl_requires added to RPM?

rpm-4.2.

>If the spec file language is now frozen for all time, why bother
>breaking old spec files (things like Copyright: vs. License:)?

I did not say "frozen", I said that NoRequires: adds instant legacy
issues building
packages with older versions of rpm.

Copyright: vs. License: change happened years and years ago, and still comes
up as an issue every 6 months or so *even though the two tags have been
synonyms* since implementation.
It was time to clarify and simplify the issue imho.

>Instead of a standardized solution with RPM, we have over 2 dozen
>packages in FC that have their own ad-hoc (and in a bunch of cases
>apparently incorrect) solution.

So fix the packages rather than honking
   %_use_internal_dependency_generator 0
as a (wrong!) solution.