Missing update announcements

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Fri May 6 16:15:41 UTC 2005

Michael Schwendt (fedora at wir-sind-cool.org) said:
> > The current fedora-update mechanism is currently entirely
> > human driven with almost zero automation, unlike the errata
> > mechanisms used for Red Hat Linux in the past, and Red Hat
> > Enterprise Linux currently.
>
> Here I would have expected a short description of how the RHL/RHEL
> mechanism works currently,

Developer opens a request, writes an errata description, and enters the
package file names. There's some automated testing, then QA takes over.
Docs beats the errata description mangled by the developer into something
more sane.

Eventually, QA asks for the packages to be signed, then they're pushed,
mail sent, etc.

> what automation is used there and why
> it has been abandoned with the step from RHL to FC.

It has heavy ties into RHN, among other things, which didn't work very well.

Bill