User Friendly Install

Naheem Zaffar naheemzaffar at gmail.com
Mon May 23 00:59:50 UTC 2005

Hi

This was RE: what happened to pup?

I have been reading the discussion regarding how we should handle installs
that benefits an end user.

So far the discussion has been regarding web interfaces etc. that randomly
invoke yum, and add a repo file (If I understand correctly).

What I as an end user would probably prefer would be something slightly
different. A local scripted folder which is also referenced in yum. How this
could work:

1. There is a local.repo file linking to a local folder.
2. I the end user search Fedora for an RPM, but do not find one.
3. I find an rpm file. (there is a trust issue here, just like there is with
a website automatically creating a .repo file).
4. I save it onto my computer, and drag it onto the localrepo folder.
5. Yum is automatically invoked by the scripted folder, calculating any
dependencies.
6. To uninstall, just drag the rpm out of the localrepo folder,
automatically invoking 'yum remove'...

Ofcourse this method will not automatically update files (as the localrepo
is only updated by the individual, not the rpm owner).

I do not know if Nautilus can have scriptable folders, or yum install from a
local folder, so these could be issues that need to be worked on.

This method takes the mac approach and IMO beats it hands down, also having
any benefits of the windows approach without most of the drawbacks.

PS I am an End User, not a developer, so developers may disagree with me.