What happened to pup?

Jeff Johnson n3npq at nc.rr.com
Mon May 23 12:46:44 UTC 2005

On May 23, 2005, at 8:38 AM, Alan Cox wrote:

> On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 12:24:04AM +0200, Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
>
>>> And the LSB specification for compliant *.rpm packages is useless
>>> both
>>> theoretically and practically.
>>>

>> Will this be fixed in future versions of LSB?
>>

> I don't believe the LSB currently agrees with Jeff on the state of
> play.

Yep. LSB prohibits all dependencies save one in *.rpm packages
and does not have a testable and objective meaning for
      Requires: lsb
except
     Whatever LSB says or will say in the future.

OTOH, the benefit of that is that *.tar and *.rpm become functionally
equivalent
when LSB compliant. In fact, that was one of the stated goals of the
LSB packaging standard.

73 de Jeff