specfile, request for comments

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu May 26 14:48:10 UTC 2005

Rakotomandimby (R12y) Mihamina wrote:
> Attached you will find a specfile about the ocaml-cryptokit package.
> I'm not very clever on specfile :-), so may be you would have some
> comments... It was initially from PLD
>
> http://ftp.nest.pld-linux.org/test/SRPMS/ocaml-cryptokit-1.2-1.src.rpm

This should probably have been posted to fedora-extras-list (since ocaml
is in Extras, not Core). In fact I'd suggest posting again there for
more feedback.

> My doubts are about:
>
> - the calling of "make" ( the CFLAGS...)

I'd use:
make CFLAGS="%{optflags} -fPIC" %{?_smp_mflags} all allopt

> - the %{_docdir} was %{_examplesdir} but I had to change it because it
> seems not to begin with a "/", so it fails because of that.

I'd just stick the examples in an "examples" subdirectory and then
include that in %doc

Suggested changes:

- Use Extras Dist Tag in Release:
    (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DistTag)

- Dispense with Source0-md5 comment that refers to a previous release

- Use a full URL for Source0

- remove .cvsignore file(s) presumably included upstream by mistake

- specifying modes with %attr shouldn't be necessary if the upstream
    Makefiles get it right

- split documentation between base and -devel packages

- be more specific in %files selections, with less globbing

I've attached an updated spec file taking these suggestions into account.

Paul.