no provider for XFree86-devel dependency

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Thu Nov 3 01:42:01 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 15:04 -0800, Patrick Mansfield wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 11:12:15PM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>
> > * sam oct 29 2005 Mike A. Harris <mharris at redhat.com> 6.8.2-58
> > - Remove virtual provide "XFree86-devel" backward compatibility.  All
> >   packages that depended on this should now be updated to use the
> > modular
> >   X library virtual provides included in build -56 and later.
>
> OK.
>
> I guess the workaround is to install with "rpm --nodeps ...".

Ah, how about instead of working around this, you wait until the deps
have been satisfied.

I think it's worth saying that we are about to see some humongous
changes with the introduction of the module xorg into rawhide (of which
these issues are a part) but that, with a little patient a simple 'yum
update' should just work.

While an 'rpm --nodeps' might _solve_ the problem in the short term, it
might also create bigger problems in the long term, making more work for
the developers to figure out because someone forced something to 'make
it work'.

Sorry if this is too harsh, but the use of rawhide needs a little
patience sometimes which include putting up with broken deps, broken
packages and other stuff.  What rawhide doesn't need to 'artificial'
breakage that adds another layer of complexity to and already complex
task.

Rodd
 It's much better on my side"