rawhide report: 20051104 changes

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Fri Nov 4 23:44:18 UTC 2005

Brian Long wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 12:42 -0500, Build System wrote:
>
> Is Red Hat's build system proprietary or is it also open-sourced?  :)

"beehive", the Red hat internal buildsystem is Red Hat internal-only
software, that is tightly coupled to internal Red Hat infrastructure,
databases, etc.

Since it is highly customized in-house software, and is not available
in any form outside of Red Hat, it isn't really open source nor
proprietary, but rather "unavailable".

This is not a bad thing however.  ;o)

The mock buildsystem, and plague et al. are much more useful to the
community for building packages, and are both open source, and
publically available, and are not tied to Red Hat operating systems,
nor tied to various internal infrastructure at Red Hat.

In the (hopefully near) future, our internal buildsystem will be
replaced by something else.  I'm not sure if it will be mock based,
or some alternative internal construction however.

Believe me when I say this:  you do not want to run beehive.  ;o)