libXext eludes linker, mod X issue?

sean seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 00:21:13 UTC 2005

Mike A. Harris wrote:
> sean wrote:
>
>> xorg-x11-6.8.2-58 on amd64.
>>
>> All of a sudden, builds ( xine, dvdauthor) break with:
>>
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXext
>>
>> but
>>
>> ldconfig -v | grep Xext
>>         libXext.so.6 -> libXext.so.6.4
>>         libXext.so.6 -> libXext.so.6.4
[.............]

> I would look at your ld.so.conf configuration firstly, to confirm
> that the X libraries are indeed configured there.  If they are, then
> this is almost certainly a bug in the software you're trying
> to compile.  From the errors above though, I would strongly suspect
> that your ld.so configuration is hosed.

/etc/ld.so.conf is pretty simple:

cat ld.so.conf
include ld.so.conf.d/*.conf
/usr/kerberos/lib

/usr/local/lib

and

  ls /etc/ld.so.conf.d
mysql-i386.conf    octave-x86_64.conf  xorg-x11-i386.conf
mysql-x86_64.conf  qt-i386.conf        qt-x86_64.conf
xorg-x11-x86_64.conf

cat /etc/ld.so.conf.d/xorg-x11-x86_64.conf
/usr/X11R6/lib64

The errors are from autotools configure tests.

I've simplified it further:

cat simple.c
   int
   main ()
   {
     return 0;
   }

gcc -o test.Xext -lXext simple.c
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXext
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

but ldconfig does find it:

  ldconfig -v | grep Xext
         libXext.so.6 -> libXext.so.6.4
         libXext.so.6 -> libXext.so.6.4

Now, maybe this is an autotools issue, but I've rebuilt
these src.rpms before without a hitch.

 >Wow.  I figured we would not get people blaming things on
 >modular X, at _least_ until we actually made it available
 >in rawhide.  ;o)

I've got a grease spot on the monitor. I'm sure it's because
mod X is comming :)

sean