Default touchpad configuration confusing

Joe Desbonnet jdesbonnet at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 18:26:12 UTC 2005

Given that Firefox is the only application that affected me, changing
Firefox's default behaviour is probably an acceptable fix.

However, it took me 6 months of casual laptop use to figure out these
advanced features of the touchpad (and I would consider myself an
'expert' user). I think something needs to be done to document it. Two
suggestions come to mind:
1. Add a tool bar applet (like I've seen on some Windows laptops with
the Synaptics touchpad) which the user can click on to configure
settings and get help.
2. Just add a configuration utility to the Desktop->Preferences menu.
Even if all that does is provide a link to a help page detailing it's
operation and how to configure it manually from the xorg.conf file.

I'm surprised this issue has not been brought up before. I have this
impression (and I could be wrong as I don't have time to evaluate
other distros right now) that FC is not a very laptop friendly distro
(?).

Joe.