Where should the modular X11R7 fonts get installed to?

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Sun Nov 6 19:16:00 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 08:48 -0800, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> On Sunday, November 06, 2005 8:28 am, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> > I believe Owen, or whoever set up our default fonts.conf
> > configuration, intentionally selected only the above specific
> > /usr/X11R6 font directories, in order to pick up the scaleable Type1
> > and OTF fonts that come with X, intentionally excluding all of the
> > ugly bitmap fonts and other weirdo fonts from being seen by
> > fontconfig.
>
> But don't you *want* to see all your fonts?  I.e. if you chose to
> install xorg-ugly-fonts, you don't want them mysteriously missing from
> your font listings, do you?
>
> I think as long as the ugly fonts are in separate packages, putting them
> all in /usr/share/fonts will be ok based on the principle of least
> surprise (though you bring up a good point that this is a change in
> behavior wrt current FC).

I think there is a general principle that installing extra packages
shouldn't break things ... other than cluttering up your menus or
lists of fonts.

But if the -adobe-*-*-*-*--*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* bitmaps get into your
font path, things break. Fontconfig (correctly) thinks that
these are official versions of Times Roman, Helvetica, etc, and
thus prefers them to the URW clones. It has no real way of knowing
that they are ugly bitmap official versions.

Regards,
						Owen