Where should the modular X11R7 fonts get installed to?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sun Nov 6 20:04:23 UTC 2005

Le dimanche 06 novembre 2005 à 14:55 -0500, Matthew Miller a écrit :
> On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 02:13:05PM -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > fonts for anything, we don't need a font server. But dropping XFS
> > would mean changing the chkfontpath system that we use for maintaining
> > the core X font path, and, well, that's very fragile stuff and
> > intertwined with the %pre/%post in a lot of packages.
>
> In the long run, I think that's an argument *for* changing it. :)

Make core font system
1. optional installed by default in FC n
2. optional not installed by default in FC n+1
3. pushed to Fedora Extras in FC n+2

3-release roadmap. Surely that's not too ambitious ? The few apps that
don't use fontconfig today won't in 10 years unless someone provides
more incentives to change.

And I wouldn't mind so much if fixed and friends were not en endless
source of X startup crashes

--
Nicolas Mailhot