resolving symbols with FORTIFY_SOURCE?

Nicholas Miell nmiell at comcast.net
Sun Nov 6 23:40:41 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 01:20 +0200, Pekka Savola wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How exactly do you resolve the symbols with crashes caused by software
> compiled with FORTIFY_SOURCE=2?
>
> I'm seeing a crash in xsupplicant (from extras) and would like to get
> it fixed, but as the program is halted by glibc/kernel, I can't run
> gdb on it to backtrace and to get the symbols.  Installing debuginfo
> doesn't help; debuginfo can be used to find the symbols manually (w/
> objdump) but doing so would be a lot of work though.
>
> I googled around quite a bit but couldn't find any automation or help
> (akin to old 'ksymoops') in decoding the numbers.  There's very
> probably something, but I just can't find it.  Or if there isn't, we
> should certainly merge it.
>
> Any pointers?

IIRC, there was a proposed patch to glibc which would make the backtrace
functions use DWARF line number information (if available) instead of
the ELF symbol table, but the glibc maintainer rejected it.

So, put a breakpoint on __chk_fail and then run xsupplicant or else just
look at the core dump.

--
Nicholas Miell <nmiell at comcast.net>