disappointment over default acpid config

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Mon Nov 7 14:06:14 UTC 2005

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Richard Hughes wrote:
> I've not had one user of a HTPC wanting to use g-p-m (that I know about)
> as it's designed primarily for laptops and PC's.

But that's the point.  Are we heading towards a situation where ACPI
power management would only be feasible for those folks which run
Gnome?

That prospect does not seem convincing to me.  The best thing would
possibly be creating something like 'acpid' (if necessary) to act as a
layer for power management on top of HAL, the layer which could also
provide command-line tools to get and manipulate the state.

Gnome-power-manager could then interface that daemon/those tools for
its GUI interface.  The code is already probably in g-p-m (or getting
there), but the issue might be just moving it to a non-gnome, pure-C
(and whatever attributes you want here) project which could be
leveraged by all the distros and even non-X, non-interactive, etc.
users.