disappointment over default acpid config

John DeDourek dedourek at unb.ca
Mon Nov 7 15:37:27 UTC 2005

>>If g-p-m has decided to punt these no user cases as a design
>>goal...then we need to make room for a no user solution and just as
>>importantly g-p-m needs to provide a facility by which another daemon
>>can transition control..or refuse to transition control. Don't
>>half-ass support for some no user cases. Either make the general no
>>user case part of the design or punt it completely and make room for a
>>transition from a no user daemon to the per-user g-p-m. Half-assing it
>>and only providing for "typical" no user situations is a mockery. You
>>might be able to claim "typical" desktop situations now..but no user
>>situations are going to be vastly more variable. Tying this into gdm
>>specifically..would be an example of a half-ass approach.

My laptop boots to command line.  I go into and out of X (using
"startx" depending on whether I need an agile machine with minimum
software running or a pretty desktop.

It is essential that power management run regardless of whether I
am in the desktop or not.  Therefore I will use a non-Gnome solution
for power control

Therefore it is essential that I be able to easily prevent the
Gnome power management from interferring with my preferred power
management, and that this be supported by the configureation
of the Gnome power manager and that this be documented as part
of the Fedora install procedure.