Self-Introduction: Denis Ovsienko and /etc/net project

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Nov 8 13:36:57 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 10:26 +0200, Denis Ovsienko wrote:
> > Sure. NetworkManager is not specific to Fedora. It is already being used
> > by several distributions. So instead of switching to net-scripts they
> > can switch over to NeworkManager when it becomes capable of replacing
> > everything else.
> I have nothing against NetworkManager and those who want to use or develop it,
> but my vision of how things should happen is different. I don't request anyting
> except ability to use community member's right to participate in Fedora Core
> development.

> I want to add extra functionality to FC, which has been demanded for years.
> Why do you try to stop me? I want to start.

Hi Denis,

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone is trying to stop you.  There
is, however, a procedure to be followed to get things in.  Currently,
the way to get your packages "into" Fedora is through Extras which has a
well-defined package submittal and maintenance process documented at:

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras

So, is there some way that you could package your networking scripts as
an "add on" that would work alongside the existing scripts?  If so, it
would be relatively easy to get them into Fedora Extras where they could
be tested (including comparisons with the existing scripts!), used by
folks so that people become familiar with them, and perhaps eventually
added to Core.

Does that sound reasonable?

Ed

--