Where should the modular X11R7 fonts get installed to?

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Thu Nov 10 04:35:26 UTC 2005

On Wednesday, November 09, 2005 5:47 pm, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> I believe it is safe to say that the majority of fonts supplied by
> X, can be considered to be fonts intended for use by X core fonts
> only, rather than for general purpose use that /usr/share/fonts
> is intended for.  In other words, they can be considered application
> specific data IMHO.

I hadn't thought about it in the context of the two different font
systems.  Put that way, what you say above makes a lot of sense and I'm
inclined to agree.

Are there any legacy applications required for a proper X installation?
If not, then on most systems the xorg-x11-fonts package may not be
needed (as long as the X server itself supplies the infamous 'fixed'
font I guess).

> The new xorg-x11-fonts package installs all of the fonts into
> /usr/share/X11/fonts currently, however this location is not
> finalized yet.
>
> Also, I want to avoid xfs config file skew, as that causes a lot of
> mayhem on upgrades.  We need to rip out old paths that are no longer
> used.
>
> I'll be providing updates on the Xorg modularization status page
> soon:  http://mharris.ca/xorg-modular/xorg-modularization.html

Cool, thanks.

Jesse