installonlyn feature?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Nov 11 16:40:56 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 08:34 -0800, darrell pfeifer wrote:
> The installonlyn plugin is a bit too naive when (test) kernels are
> failing.
>
> If I install a kernel that doesn't boot then the next kernel update
> will wipe out my working kernel in favor of a newer kernel that may
> also not work.

The kernel you're booted into won't be removed.  If the kernel is good
enough to install _new_ kernels then it should be reasonable to keep.

> The simple solution would be to change the default number kept to be
> at least one more but this is also likely to be a problem in the case
> of failing test kernels.
>
> A better solution would be to for installonlyn to only take action in
> the case where the currently booted kernel (via uname -r) is the
> latest version.

This is actually a very poor solution as it's very common for people
using the development tree to _not_ reboot every day.  I generally ended
up with about 10 kernels of which I had maybe booted into 3 before
having to remove some to make space for more.  This way, we're not
spending space on things that you haven't booted into

Jeremy