FC5 and new init system

Luke Macken lmacken at redhat.com
Mon Nov 14 18:08:50 UTC 2005

On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 11:34:57AM +0000, Giovanni Biczó wrote:
| Hi all,
|
| There has been a long discussion about the need of a new init system, in order
| to replace SysVinit. A wiki page and preliminary code has been written. Now
| the development seems to have stopped.
| Are there any chances for the new init system (systemservices) to be included
| in FC5? If not: why?

The discussions for Fedora's SysVinit replacement are currently off-list,
but not for much longer.  Any inclusion of a new init system in FC5 isn't
going to happen considering today is the test1 devel freeze, but Fedora
Extras will most likely serve to be a good testbed for any init replacements
that we plan on testing in the near future.

luke