How to simplify the process of adding multilingual %descriptions to rpm spec?

Elliot Lee sopwith at redhat.com
Mon Nov 14 20:04:14 UTC 2005

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Yuan Yijun wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I believe that non-English speakers will be more happy to see
> localized package %descriptions, when they are using a GUI package
> management program. Most of users play Linux for fun, and they are
> willing to search software in the huge packages list, looking for
> interesting packages to install. But this fun only belongs to English
> speakers. To Chinese, there is no way for an software package to
> introduce itself.
>
> Then how can these %descriptions be localized? If someone translate
> them and commit patches to rpm spec files, that seems a bit funny and
> boring. (Sorry for my bad vocabulary, though the single filed rpm spec
> does have its cons and pros.) How to simplify this and reduce the
> amount of work?
>
> (There are too many excellent programs in both Core and Extras, while
> I'm trying to introduce them to other Chinese users, I believe this
> problem is essential.)

Currently, specspo is meant to be the means by which package strings are
translated. However, specspo has not been maintained in a long time and
could use a lot of love. If someone wants to pick it back up, the work
that needs to be done is a fairly well understood problem. It's just a LOT
OF WORK. :)

Best,
-- Elliot