init observations

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Nov 15 22:36:56 UTC 2005

Le mardi 15 novembre 2005 à 17:26 -0500, Jeff Spaleta a écrit :
> On 11/15/05, Paul A Houle <ph18 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> >     In the past,  boot times have been a major complaint of ordinary
> > consumers.
>
> You missed my point entirely.
> Why are we considering all "start up" situations as "full boot" scenarios?
> Why isn't focusing on suspend to disk scenarios a better win?
>
> >     Laura's first complaint about the machine was that it took forever
> > to boot,  and I realized she was right.  I took about 2/3 of the stuff
> > out of the boot sequence (HP laserjet drivers,  asian language input
> > methods...),  and things got a lot better.
>
> And if we focused instead on a robust suspend that most users could
> use... how often would such a system need to do a full reboot instead
> of a suspend? Every kernel update?

The problem is not so much in boot time but in service interdependencies
Just try to activate a service you didn't use before (or a new service)
- trying to locate all the other services it needs and to activate them
in the right order is power user stuff right now.

It gets worse with all the cool avahi/dbus/etc new services that do
nothing by themselves but are used by other stuff. The spaguetti plate
is growing

--
Nicolas Mailhot