init observations

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Wed Nov 16 00:21:30 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 15 November 2005 05:13pm, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 11/15/05, Mike A. Harris <mharris at redhat.com> wrote:
> > I personally think that getting a full desktop running in less than
> > 10 seconds is more important than working hibernate support, simply
> > because there are probably one ore more orders of magnitude more
> > "desktop users" than there are "laptop users" out there.  Both
> > features are important to have for their respective userbases of
> > course, but the "desktop users" group generally is a superset of the
> > "laptop users" group.

The moment I read that, I knew this was coming.

> why can't "desktop" or "thin clients" or "home theature settop boxes"
> or "router appliance" benefit from a robust suspend? Just because
> "laptop" users are the traditional group who feel a need for this,
> doesn't mean its not the right solution for a broader range of users.
> Don't desktop bioses that are being sold right now claim to support to
> suspend?

I think that what he meant by laptop userbase vs. desktop userbase is valid
because *most* "desktop" users don't care about suspend.  Even if they see it
available, they probably won't use it.

I think you are right, though, Jef; desktop systems, set-top boxes, and so on
and so on, would definitely benefit, too.  But I have to wonder, since the
developers who are going to work on both possible solutions are probably not
the same people, why not just do both?

Also, since it is unlikely that broad suspend, et. al. support is going to
come along too quickly, I think faster boot and shutdown times are a great
idea.
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor