init observations

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 17:50:19 UTC 2005

On 11/16/05, Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com> wrote:
> This is offtopic, but I think in general we have a problem
> with startup times. For example, starting gedit (which is
> marketed as a fast and simple text editor) on my fairly
> decent 3GHz CPU/1GB RAM box takes a *few* seconds. This
> should be instantaneous (<300ms). I think we're about 100
> slower then we should be.

How do you time this?

According to my wristwatch with second hand resolution, getting a
gedit window on my 1 GHz athlon with 512Meg ram... takes under a
second from the moment I click on the gedit menu item on the
accessories menu on this fc4 system... right after a fresh reboot and
login to my gnome session.  I really don't think ancedotal
conversations about application window appearence time are worthwhile.

-jef