Modular X

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Thu Nov 17 03:09:43 UTC 2005

Bart Vanbrabant wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just installed the new modular X from rawhide. Everything went quite
> good except for two problems:
>
> 1) The nvidia driver doesn't handle modular X yet. But I solved it by
> manually moving all libraries to their new places. This isn't something
> that should be handled by fedora.

I believe Nvidia provides a driver that works with the dlopen loader
used in modular X.  I'm not sure how it is provided exactly, but
hopefully the livna.org nvidia rpms will update to using the new
driver, and move things to the new locations.

> 2) There were two paths in my xorg.conf that pointed to the old /usr/X11
> places. Those where ModulePath and RgbPath. I changed them like this:
>         RgbPath      "/usr/share/X11/rgb"
>         ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"

Aha!  Good catch!  Please file these in bugzilla.  I'll have to massage
our X server installation to remove these lines from the config, and get
our config tools changed to stop writing out unnecessary lines to the
config file as it ends up breaking future X changes down the line.

> It this something that other users could have problems with to? Because
> then a postinstall script should check for this. Do I need to file a
> bugreport?

Yes definitely, please do!  Thanks very much for testing, and for the
reports too!