init: API

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Nov 17 19:46:20 UTC 2005

Le jeudi 17 novembre 2005 à 19:18 +0000, Joe Desbonnet a écrit :
> Slightly related to this thread -- is there any policy regarding the
> format of configuration files for new software or re-writes of
> existing software.
>
> XML would be the obvious choice (it is both human and machine
> readable), but I did see a recent post here that requested "anything
> but XML".

I think a lot of people would reformulate it as "anything but the XML
style gconf uses". OTOH has anyone a real beef with for
example /etc/fonts/fonts.conf?

XML is no worse than any other text file format, OTOH *many* people have
been abusing it. So you just need some strong style conventions. XML by
itself is no silver bullet.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot