init observations

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Fri Nov 18 14:59:59 UTC 2005

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 01:58:11PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> It's disk seek on shared libraries, almost certianly. It's the majority
> of lag time on *any* startup these days, including the OS itself.

I doubt its the shared libraries that dominate. Not unless gnome has much
improved. The older traces I studied were dominated by the poorly designed
gconf system and the even more badly designed theme code. Simply packing
the themes using a trivial library I wrote reduced the cost of theme loading
to almost zero and reduced gnome memory usage by about 2MB/app

Perhaps Havoc can update on the state of the themes and gconf code

Alan