init: API

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sat Nov 19 13:51:25 UTC 2005

Le samedi 19 novembre 2005 à 13:43 +0000, Dave Mitchell a écrit :
> On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 11:16:24AM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > Once again, what is wrong with /etc/fonts/fonts.conf ?
>
> Because my brain can't parse XML. I'm speaking as someone who recently
> spent a lot of time messing with Ant files (XML/java based replacement for
> make). A simple example from /etc/fonts/fonts.conf:
>
> <!--
>   Accept deprecated 'mono' alias, replacing it with 'monospace'
> -->
>         <match target="pattern">
>                 <test qual="any" name="family">
>                         <string>mono</string>
>                 </test>
>                 <edit name="family" mode="assign">
>                         <string>monospace</string>
>                 </edit>
>         </match>
>
> There are 22 words in that chunk, of which 3 are the important ones
> (family/mono/monospace).  You can stare at that for minutes and what its
> doing still doesn't leap out at you.

And how would you express this in so its doings would leap at you ? What
is described here is not a simple operation, a more traditional syntax
would probably have used regexpes and other "simple" stuff which
requires 2 hours of man-page reading to be understood (let alone
modified). But sure, it would probably have been more compact.

--
Nicolas Mailhot