init: API

Gilboa Davara gilboada at netvision.net.il
Sat Nov 19 19:23:22 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 08:24 -0800, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> --On Saturday, November 19, 2005 4:35 PM +0200 Gilboa Davara
> <gilboada at netvision.net.il> wrote:
>
> > I was talking about /simple text/ parsers, no XML one.
>
> How simple? Set the bar too low and you cripple some uses of it. XML's
> value is in generality. You don't actually have to use all of it. Simple
> applications can use very simple styles, and yet still be able to leverage
> the advanced features for corner cases like unusual characters and
> character sets. There's no requirement that your config file has to be
> complex. Package developers will have to support what they define, and
> won't want to spend all their time explaining a complex schema, unless
> their application is equally complex.

Again, I fail to see why we need complex text inside the package
manager.
Even if you must, you can always shove the translation strings
into /usr/share/locale. (Or /etc/scm/locale if you which to load it from
within initrd.)
It seems the people tend to confuse the application configuration
(AKA /etc/samba/smb.conf) and the service configuration (/etc/init.d/smb
or /etc/scm/samba.conf).
The service manager (scm) configuration should be as simple as it gets.
Same goes, in my eyes, with the service manager itself.

> For those who love var=value pairs, one could always use m4 to expand that
> into equivalent XML, the way sendmail does to create its legacy cf file
> from the much simpler mc file.

Adding yet another step of complexity just to fix a dead service.

Gilboa