init: API

Dave Mitchell davem at iabyn.com
Sun Nov 20 01:11:37 UTC 2005

On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 01:55:47AM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le samedi 19 novembre 2005 à 22:59 +0000, Dave Mitchell a écrit :
>
> > This is a bit hand-wavy because I'm not familiar with the font.conf
> > schema, but for example
> >
> >     substitute name=family /mono/ "monospace"
>
> Perfect example of subtle flat-file syntax no one can understand without
> the man page under its eyes. Push a few more lines like this, each with
> its own rules hidden in magic characters like /, and you get something
> pretty much impossible to administer (let alone write a robust parser
> for)

And you'd be able to understand the XML version without having the
"part of the schema for font name substitutions within font.conf" manual
in front of you?

XML is good for text markup. It's really crap for anything else.
(IMHO of course).

--
In my day, we used to edit the inodes by hand.  With magnets.