init: API

Gilboa Davara gilboada at netvision.net.il
Sun Nov 20 16:52:39 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 18:32 +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
> Gilboa Davara wrote:
>
> >The service manager must be allowed to operate with /bin only. Nothing
> >else.
> >(Let alone fixing it if things go terribly wrong.)
> >

> I object. This requirement will keep us in the 1970s forever. It has
> already inflicted enough damage in forcing untold millions to learn vi.

Don't want to lean VI?
Get a knpppix rescue CD and use what-ever-GUI-editor-you-like.
Nobody is forcing you.
I am asking that you don't blow thing up just so you can enjoy that
GUI-editors of your more.

> This distinction between /bin and /usr/bin is completely artificial. If
> initrd (or whatever) was able to find our /, it should be able to find
> our /usr.

Umm?
A. Who said that both / and /usr are on the same partition? (Or on the
same machine for that matter?)
B. I usually create a backup of /bin and /sbin inside my /boot which
usually sits on the separate software RAID1 partition, while my main
root is partition(s) are on a RAID5 software raid with LVM. I assume
that I'm now forced to create a full backup of my /usr just so I can get
the service manager to work in case of disaster?

There's more at stake here then the configuration file itself.
In my view, the service manager should be simple, bash-based (if
possible), and fully contained within /bin (initrd-able is even better).
You (as in "XML-people") want to create a monster, with XML parsing
libraries, GUI, and god-knows-what, that may (or-may-not) improve
performance. In essence, you are about to create a Windows like service
manager.
I'd suggest you re-read my first statement on why Microsoft's service
manager sucks.

Gilboa