Where should the modular X11R7 fonts get installed to?

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Mon Nov 21 10:25:55 UTC 2005

> Are there any legacy applications required for a proper X installation?
> If not, then on most systems the xorg-x11-fonts package may not be
> needed (as long as the X server itself supplies the infamous 'fixed'
> font I guess).

Well, one glaring example is xscreensaver. Even though xscreensaver has
been a core part of Gnome for a while now, it uses its own internal
password dialog, apparently due to paranoia about security. This
internal GUI uses core fonts. jwz has some talk about using a toolkit
like GTK via a seperate process here:
http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/toolkits.html

The other option is to just patch xscreensaver's internal dialog to use
xft, which will at least get rid of the dependency on the core font
system.

There's also vncviewer, I can't figure out what toolkit its using if
any, but it uses core fonts for its GUI. I find it annoying that vino is
a part of Gnome, but there's no Gnome VNC viewer. vncviewer's UI is
terrible.