Broken video drivers in new modular X

Michael Favia michael.favia at insitesinc.com
Mon Nov 21 17:37:59 UTC 2005

Erwin Rol wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 02:44 -0500, Sadda Teh wrote:
>> Hi all, just writing to say that on my Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop
>> (latest BIOS) with ATI Mobility M4 video the modular X vesa and r128
>> drivers do not work properly.
>
> My Radeon locks the machine hard, meaning no network, no nothing, only
> can press the reset/power switch. I have seen previous reports here with
> the same problem, but there was talk about that AGP might be the
> problem, but i have a PCIe card (01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI
> Technologies Inc RV370 5B60 [Radeon X300 (PCIE)] ).
> That card worked fine with the old Xorg before the switch to mod-X.
>
>> When X is configured to use the vesa driver it comes up, but the
>> picture is distorted (looks like 2 vertical desktops overlapping one
>> another at various points, also colors are messed up).
>
> When i use the vesa driver i see things like that too. The icons of
> applications have the wrong colors (looks like R and G and B are
> switched) and they are also at the wrong place (shifted 20 pixels or
> so).
>
> I am now running with the fbdev driver on top of the radeonfb this works
> but is of course not optimal.
>
>> As for trying to use the r128 driver, X cannot even load when
>> configured this way, it fails with an error along the lines of the
>> r128_drv.so could not be opened. Has anyone else seen issues like this
>> with the new modular X packages? Should I file bugs for these in
>> x.org's bugzilla? Thanks.
>
> Well if it are really the same issues i dunno, but i sure have issues
> with mod X.

I think these are two separate issues. My ati based laptop showed
similar symptoms to above while it was trying to load the r128 driver. I
edited xorg.conf to reflect ati instead of r128 and that was fixed.

The skewed color table and icons are a different problem i think because
it affects only one of my desktops. Not all windows are skewed but
anything on the gnome desktop is purple, about 10px skewed to the left
and overlaying other things. Feels somewhat like im playing a game of
memory to upen various applications :). -mf