status of up2date and rhn-applet

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 10:29:14 UTC 2005

2005/11/24, Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net>:
> On Thu, 2005-11-24 at 09:23 +0100, Joachim Frieben wrote:
> > "up2date-gnome" is by far the most usable update tool to date.
> > "pup" is really not on par in any respect. I really have no
> > idea why people spent time on that one. The best would be to
> > simply remove it. I do really hope that "up2date-gnome" will
> > remain in the distro. If it uses "yum" under the hood that's
> > ok. Concerning "rhn-applet" your right: it is already unusable
> > in FC4. No reason to drop it though. It should get fixed unless
> > somebody comes up with an alternative shiny new update notifier.
> >

> Would you care to give some constructive feed back as to why you find
> pup so intolerable in it's first release version?  What about
> up2date-gnome did you like and would like to see in the standalone pup?
>
> --
> Jesse Keating RHCE      (geek.j2solutions.net)
> Fedora Legacy Team      (www.fedoralegacy.org)
> GPG Public Key          (geek.j2solutions.net/jkeating.j2solutions.pub)
>
> Was I helpful?  Let others know:
>  http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=jkeating
>
> --

Hello Mr Keating,

Feature Requests for pup:

1. Handling of Packagegroups for Groupwise updating
2. Notification applet (maybe as external application may as internal
feature... guess external would be preferred)
3. Repository Handling from UI (i liked the up2date behaviour to
selectively enable and disable repos)
4. selectivly exluding packages by gui (clickable list with checkbox
buttons maybe?)
5. all of the above stuff saveable into yum config files to have a
consistent environment.

while i think that most of above suggestions arent really necassery
for even an 1.0 release of the software and while i additionally think
that some of the above stuff should probably go under an "advanced"
tab, i think that some of the above mentioned stuff can be helpful to
make package updates properly manageable from gui.

regards,
Rudolf Kastl

p.s. opinions welcome