suggestion: move all java packages to extras

Konstantin Ryabitsev icon at fedoraproject.org
Sat Nov 26 16:18:43 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-26-11 at 10:57 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > I think Eclipse is a big feature for RHEL. Does the RHEL<->Core thing still
> > hold, or are we in the era of RHEL<->Core+Extras?
>
> Nope. We've moved packages that are in RHEL out to extras already, iirc.

I'll add a little more flamage to the conversation and state that native
eclipse is actually not that useful. It doesn't seem to run any faster
than JDK eclipse, even though you'd think it would, and imposes serious
limits on the usability, since you a) can't easily install any of the
third-package plugins that aren't already packaged into RPMs, and b)
can't update the plugins that come from RPMs, so you're stuck with old
versions (e.g. a rather dated version of PyDev). So, unless you write
lots of stuff in gcj-java, Eclipse as provided by Fedora would be of
limited use.

This is not to say that I don't appreciate the importance of gcj -- we
really do need a fully free java implementation that can run any java
app we throw at it. However, installing a natively compiled version of
Eclipse is currently of questionable benefit, especially considering how
much space it eats on the install media, so moving it out of core and
into extras would make excellent sense.

Regards,
--
Konstantin Ryabitsev