UDEV and SELinux

Ryan Skadberg skadz1 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 16:28:24 UTC 2005

I was rather amazed that I had not seen the very slow udev start up other
people were saying, I usually get hit with every little issue :)  Well, this
morning, I was working on my machine and noticed I had turned SELinux off a
while back and never turned it back on.  Well, I turned it back on this
morning and rebooted.  Well, udev start up went from 5 seconds to about 30
seconds once SELinux was on.  Turned if back off, went back down to 5
seconds.  So, it looks like the slow udev issue has something to do with
SELinux.   I have SELinux set up with:

SELINUX=enforcing
SELINUXTYPE=targeted

If I switch enforcing to disabled, startup works much faster.

Skadz