suggestion: move all java packages to extras

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Sat Nov 26 16:30:44 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 11:13 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > It actually is dependent on eclipse to build.  And tomcat is
> > increasingly a "core" server piece similar to php[1]
>
> So why is it that servers have to be in core? Why not move tomcat
> outside of core? What's the justification for having it in core? Hell,
> same with php. The only thing I can think of that depends on php in core
> is squirrelmail. Zope's not in core, it's in extras and its a server.

Why is it that the desktop has to be in core?  I think we're moving
towards having _less_ distinction between Core and Extras instead of
more.  Your argument now is CD space, but we're going to want to get to
where we have CDs of Extras and at that point, the distinction between
the two becomes less clear.

I've been one of the strongest proponents of shrinking Core for a while
now, but I'm starting to wonder if that's really the answer.  But
starting that argument now isn't going to accomplish anything.  It's not
the sort of thing that's going to happen today or tomorrow.  And if I
spend all day replying to mail on threads like this, I'm not going to
get to any of the useful stuff that people want to see done :-/

Jeremy