status of up2date and rhn-applet

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Sat Nov 26 16:57:09 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 17:42 +0100, Joachim Frieben wrote:
> I am a very user myself. So your statement is based on pure speculation.
> Btw, this is the first time that I hear about repository interdependencies.
> Things get somewhat ridiculous here.

What a lot of people don't realize is that the users on this list aren't
really the target audience of Fedora.  Fedora is programmed to cater to
the users we don't really hear from.  The ones that aren't beta testers,
aren't deep system hackers, etc..  They're the ones that just use our
software and when something breaks, they're usually the ones that go to
forums or their lug to figure it out, or write a silly slam on some
review site.  Think about the target user for Gnome.  Thats basically
where the UI is going for the tools that Red Hat creates for Fedora.

In this case, I agree with Jeremy.  The users that really would care
about disabling certain repos can easily do it in the conf files,
whereas exposing this to other end users would be confusing and
misleading and could cause real problems.

Inter-repo dependencies do exist.  In particular with Livna and Fedora
Extras.  Now we can talk about Livna being full of forbidden items all
we want, but the fact is that it gets used and used a lot.  Other such
deps happen as well with other popular 3rd party repos.

Was I helpful?  Let others know: