suggestion: move all java packages to extras

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn d.jacobfeuerborn at conversis.de
Sun Nov 27 16:56:04 UTC 2005

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>> This is what I'm talking about - right now the distinction b/t what gets
>> into core and what goes into extras is more or less 'where does the
>> packager work'
>
> then I don't agree with how that works and would favor and advocate a
> more "functionality" way of looking at it.

How is looking at the problem in different ways going to solve the (in my
eyes unsolvable) problem of choosing one specific implementation of a
"media player" or "office suite" for Core? In order to do that you would
need an entirely objective argument why dovecot is more entitled to be in
Core rather than cyrus-imapd and I never see that happen in all the "what
should be in Core" dicussions that transpired so far.

Right now I see it like this: Core contains whatever those in control deem
it should contain and the reasons for including a package are mostly
arbitrary (e.g. "The people *I* know tend to like dovecot/cyrus-imapd
better"). Fine with me.

The only way to really solve these kinds of disputes is I think by allowing
people to easily spin their own "Fedora based" distributions.

Regards,
   Dennis