Yum and SRPMs

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Mon Nov 28 01:39:59 UTC 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 02:22:00AM +0100, Paul Wouters wrote:
> Not that agree. The above sounds correct from the yum developers point
> of view, but fails to take into account the enduser who will expect to
> be able to use "the package manager" for such tasks.

I dunno. I expect an end-user savvy enough to use yum on the command line
can figure it out fairly easily. And by extension, anyone savvy enough to
have a use for source.

> There also seems to be no easy way for the user to figure out an
> additional tool is needed. Perhaps "yum install foo.src" and "yum
> -source install foo" could return some helpful information on how
> people are supposed to obtain the source in a somewhat automatic way.

That seems like a bad road to go down -- should every option for every
function people think a program should have return an explanation for why it
actually hasn't? What I someone think "yum sourcedownload foo" would be
the intuitive way? Should that also give a message? :)

But maybe a mention in the man pages is warrented, just to help people out.
And this should probably go in the Yum Faq... Okay, now it is (Q14;
<http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq>).